I’m Imani Wisdom, the new author of the Inspirational book, Zion ’s Road: A Love Story
about Faith and Redemption. This story takes you from Tulla Springs , Mississippi
to a place of the unknown as former Klansman, Harold Smith, goes on an
adventure with an unlikely traveler to delve into his past and finds a
shattering reality. Left to wonder that everything he knew in his life
contradicts these revelations, how will this new discovery affect Harold’s
pursuit to redemption? Will the heartfelt pain be too unbearable to complete
his journey?
As it just so happened in 2006 I took the liberty to
interview Harold Smith before the unexpected turn of events. Although his life
in the KKK had been long gone, he still carried those beliefs of racism. When I
arrived at his home on the outskirts of Tulla Springs, Mississippi, I noticed
how immaculate he kept his yard—a perfect green lawn with a colorful array of
tulips and roses that lined in front of his two-story white house.
As I walked toward the yard, I saw Mr. Smith sitting in an
oak rocking-chair, swaying back and forth with a cigar perched on the side of
his mouth. The stare he presented as I extended my hand for a formal
introduction sent chills down my spine—I could tell he wasn’t very pleased to
see me.
Mr. Smith’s eyes followed me with a chilling stare. I sat on
a nearby porch chair observing the wrinkles on his face that spoke of eight-two
years of wear and tear. Feeling intimidation was an understatement yet I did
not waver at his expense.
Me: Good afternoon, Mr. Smith. The main thing I
would like to know is looking back on your life, do you have any regrets?
Smith: Gal, I ain’t got no regrets! My life was
perfect. Besides growing up with the name “Smith” in this town spells clout! No
one wouldn’t dare mess with us—especially the Coloreds. Why I remembered back
in 1937 when my Granddaddy died—God rest his soul—the town stopped during his
funeral. There were no stores, bars, and schools opened for miles. So that goes
to show you, gal, that “Smith” is the name you don’t want to mess with.
Me: But sir, you didn’t answer my question. Do
you have any regrets during the eight-two years of your life?
Smith: (billowing
his cigar smoke) Gal, I told you I ain’t got no regrets. My life was like
Heaven—so much so that Jesus could pat me on the back saying, ‘job well done’.
Me: Let me phrase this question another way, if
you went back through your life as a young man and discovered everything you
went through in that life was a lie. How would you feel?
Smith: Gal, what are you insinuating?
Me: I’m not
insinuating anything, Mr. Smith. I’m just asking a simple question.
Smith: And what
question is that again?
Me: (releasing a
frustrating sigh) You know what, I’m going to ask you another question—and it’s
a very easy one. Mr. Smith, everyone has some sort of skeletons in their
closest, so do you mind if you share at least one of them?
Smith: You know
what sound like, gal—a liberal!
Me: What
does that has to do with anything?
Smith: Everything, gal…everything! You’re a Colored,
a woman, and you’re uppity—all that makes you a damn liberal!
Me: *Blank
Stare*
Smith: (puffing his cigar) Don’t give me that look,
gal, you know it’s true. But I tell you what, since you drove a long distance
to do this interview, I’ll answer your question.
Me: Finally!
Smith: I regret…that…I’ve ever done this damn
interview (burst into laughter).
Me: You
know what, Mr. Smith, this interview is officially over. Your personality is
enough for a post anyway. You’re mean-spirited, uncouth, and a bigoted man—that
should be plenty for readers to get familiar with an old bitter man like you!
And furthermore, whatever skeletons you have buried in your closet, it’ll be
worth to read.
Smith: *Blank
Stare*
Me: Have a nice life, Mr. Smith.
To know more about this character, go to Amazon.com to buy
your copy of this narrative. You may also visit my website, http://www.imaniwisdom.com/, as well as “liking”
my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/imaniwisdom,
or follow me on twitter, www.twitter.com/imani_wisdom.

Ha this is funny and does speak towards his character.
ReplyDeleteLOL! Thank you, Priscilla!. I wanted to do something lighthearted since the story has a serious message.
Delete