Raw and Unedited WIP
Untitled Manuscript
Belgium, December 1944
Chaos
broke in the dead of night. It was around one a.m. and my fellow soldiers and I
were wakened by a sneak attack of the Nazis. Rounds of gunfire showered our
camp, fiercely echoing its intention to kill. Your first instinct is to scream
for your life but you can’t – the adrenaline of fear and anger had taken over.
It didn’t matter if we were in the middle of a rough snowstorm with rare
thunder and lightening conditions, or the fact the snowfall blinded our way
through the trail. Even my baldhead didn’t get spared by the treacherous
weather. Yet, none of that matter – survival was all I cared about and to get
back to my wife, Louise and my five and four year old daughters, Audra and
Denise in one piece.
As
my unit and I footsteps slush through the trail, I peeped down at the shiny
gold band around my finger – my wedding ring. It signified the best four years
of my life - wondering for those few seconds if my daughters were sleeping
peacefully in their beds? Since Christmas was a couple of weeks away, had the
girls started their rehearsal for their school play? Or, was Louise thinking me
as she lay beside an empty spot in our bed? Before I went deeper into my
thoughts a small rocket flew next to me, engulfing the bed of bushes into a fiery
ball. The force from the explosion was so great it knocked me back to a huge
log on the wooded terrain. “Come on, Johnson!” called out a fellow soldier
named, Richmond. Actually his whole name was Vernon Richmond, but like all in
the platoon, we called each by our last name. It’s just easier to remember.
“Did
you hear me, Preacher Man?” He questioned using my platoon nickname. It was a
name that had been given to me because I prayed whenever a solider from our
unit dies in combat, and being a Preacher’s son from Pulaski , Tennessee ,
it just came natural.
“Me and other guys
found a safe area until all of this blows over, so come on” continued Richmond .
I
finally made it to my feet, rubbing my lower back around my rib cage to ease a stinging
pain. “You all right?” asked Richmond ,
while another whistling sound pierced from a distance. I nodded my head in
response as I felt my adrenaline kick in. By his body language, Richmond was getting
nervous. “Come on, Man! They’re coming” His voice trembled.
Just
as I ran behind him toward the woods, I heard someone screaming my name among
another ear-popping explosion, “JOHNSON!” I looked over my shoulder and saw an
average height, white man fully dressed in his gear, dodging from the rocket
grenades as they were showering the burning woods foliage. “Johnson!” the man
screamed again.
Usually
I would do anything for my fellow my comrades- regardless of what skin color –
but this puny man who happened to been our commanding officer over our Black
platoon called us every name out of book: darkies, jigaboos, and spade. We were
animals to him and not soldiers fighting for the same nation, under God, and liberty
and justice for all. To First Lieutenant Harold Smith, we were brought here out
an entitlement giving by the government – and pitied by General Eisenhower.
“You’s darkies are too damn dumb and slow”. He spoke in his southern drawl. “I
guess Uncle Sam must be desperate after all”.
For
split second I’ve wrestled if I should do the Christian thing and go back and
saved this hateful man, or follow Richmond
to safety. “Johnson, we ain’t got time for heroics” Richmond interrupted my thoughts. “You know
Smith wouldn’t hesitate to save any of us. Remember, we’re bunch of jigs to
him?”
I
nodded my head at his revelation and proceeded behind to safety. Just when I
left from Smith’s view, another small rocket fired behind us and created a
magnificent fiery ball. “Johnson!” Smith cried out. And yet, for some reason,
my body froze. I prayed for fallen soldiers,
but not wanting to save one broken soul? I wondered. I sighed in confusion
and darted back to the war zone. Smith was still alive but seemed bewildered on
which way to go. He held his hand on top of his helmet as he held his machine
rifle in the other. The attack by the Nazis went past unbearable but a sinkhole
ready to leap into hell.
At
that moment, a lone grenade fell a few feet from Lieutenant Smith. I don’t know
why but I ran like I never ran before – ducking and dodging from phantom
rockets and leaping over small burning token of debris. Those moments seemed a
lifetime. And yet for some reason every thing I’ve experience my life popped in
my mind: my childhood, my beloved parents who still lived on their farm on the
outskirts of town, and the love of my life, Louise. Their faces were vivid as
though as they meant for me to see, and I could literally hear the sound of
Pa’s preaching in his usual sermon tone, “Let go, let God, son”.
Those
words only picked up my pace toward Smith, and uttered words for the first time
since the attack. “Watch out, suh!” I yelled as my large six feet six frame
pushed the Lieutenant out of harms way. Our eyes met for those briefs seconds
as fear was written in the window of his eyes. Everything at that point moved
in slow motion and our bodies flew in opposite directions. I’m not sure where
Smith landed but the blast rattled all of my senses. I felt frozen and unfazed
at the Germans at that point and yet numb. My entire body couldn’t move, and my
eyes were gazing at the nighttime sky. Strange, my body felt disconnected. The
feeling was indescribable.
Suh, you all right? I questioned but he
didn’t respond. I figured the grenade took him out. It was not surprising, the
force from the blast knock the wind out of us. So I did like I would do all the
time – I prayed for another fallen soldier. Since all I could see was the
darkness of the night, I prayed that Smith would find peace and to heal his
heart from whatever had ailed him. A man carry that much hate has to have a
hurt soul. It just seemed he carried a
burden without knowing how to let go.
From
the corner of my eye, I saw a figure scampering around the area where I laid. I
sensed the presence gazing at me for a moment. I wasn’t sure if it was a German
soldier or Richmond
coming back to rescue me. Before I could I ask who it was, I felt a tug on my
finger as another whistling of a rocket screeched from a distance. Who are you? The person didn’t
acknowledge a word I had said. Instead I heard their footsteps scurried against
the snowy-covered ground. This person disappeared in the Belgium woods and never returned.
All
of the sudden the horror sounds of war had ended, and loneliness crept upon my soul.
The numbness that wrapped my body quickly changed to a tortuous sensation. Ever
fiber of my nerves felt it wanted to split open. I tried shifting my eyes to
either direction, but to no avail. I believed I was paralyzed from my injuries.
Jesus, help me. I kept the one and
only focal point my eyes allowed me to see: the nighttime sky. Then a warm tear
streamed from my eye, running down into my ear canal. I haven’t cried since my
Grandmammy died when I was a boy. She used to tell me crying soothes the soul.
And that’s exactly what I did; I let those tears pour hoping it would relieve my
soul.
Through
the fog of my tears, my surrounding was dimming. Perhaps it was the pain
messing with my mind, or maybe it was a hallucination. The experience was
unlike I’ve ever felt before. I felt peace swimming upon – enough for me to
feel the serenity of everything would be okay. My heart smiled as the snow and
what was left of the camp turned black. Jesus,
don’t forsake me!
No comments:
Post a Comment